How to Keep Your Family Healthy Indoors During the Winter Months
Two important home improvements you can make this year can keep your family healthy indoors during the cold and dry winter months. Individually, each solves an indoor air quality problem, and together they are a complete solution for your home.
Whole Home Humidifiers
In winter, the air tends to be drier than at other times of the year. In our Rocky Mountain climate that means our already dry air is especially dry. This is hard on skin, eyes, throats and nasal passages and contributes to worsening cold and allergy symptoms.
Unlike portable humidifiers, which don’t offer much control and are limited to a single room, whole home humidifiers add moisture to your entire home by connecting to your heating and cooling system. The humidity level can be monitored and adjusted through your thermostat, allowing an even level of moisture to be released all year long.
The benefits of whole home humidifiers include:
- Preventing viruses that thrive in low humidity.
- Reducing the severity and incidences of many common illnesses, such as colds and flu.
- Protecting your home from the adverse effects of dry air. Furniture, plaster, paint, artwork, electronics and musical instruments all benefit from the right level of humidity.
- Increasing comfort throughout your home. Adding humidity will actually make your home feel warmer at lower temperatures, so you can save energy costs – as much as 4% for every degree you lower your thermostat setting.
Whole home humidifiers can be installed in new or existing homes, and even homes that have baseboard or radiant floor heating.
Whole Home Air Cleaners
Concerns about the effects of poor indoor-air quality have increased, as more and more of us rely on recycled air in our tightly sealed homes and offices. Quality air purification in the form of whole home air cleaners is an effective and affordable solution. These units can be incorporated into almost any HVAC system.
The benefits of whole home air cleaners include:
- Drastically reducing allergens, particulates and toxins throughout your entire home. Whole house air purification eliminates allergens, bacteria, dust and smoke up to 100 times more effectively than conventional furnace filters.
- Removing particles as low as .003 microns – the smallest particles that exist.
- Eliminating fan noise typically associated with portable units.
Whole home air cleaners require little maintenance and the average filter life is up to 3 to 5 years.